The following two advanced root chakra yoga poses are aimed at stimulating and releasing energy from the Muladhara chakra.
Working with your chakras is all about balance. Releasing excess chakra energy is just as important as stimulating chakras to gain energy or rooting and grounding yourself.
The following two poses, the Bridge pose and the Seated Angle pose help with releasing excess root chakra energy. They are advanced poses and challenge us physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually.
Bridge Pose - Setu Bhandasana
This is a dynamic root chakra yoga pose that allows your feet to be firmly rooted into the earth and your spine engaged in the release of excess root chakra energy.
This pose also stimulates the throat chakra, opens the heart and solar plexus chakras and balances the sacral chakra.
- Begin this pose by lying on your back with your arms straight at your side, palms facing down.
- Bend your knees and keep your feet parallel to each other about hip width apart.
- Bring your heels closer to your body so that you can feel the tips of your fingers.
- While maintaining full contact with the ground, press your feet into the mat. Engage your leg muscles, but do not lift yourself up. Feel the energy flowing through your legs. Breathe deeply.
- Press your feet even more and lift your buttocks and your body of the ground. Press the chest upward.
- You can support yourself in this position with your hands by placing them on your lower back.
- Breathe slowly and evenly. Be aware of your body and of your chakras. You are now balancing your chakras in a bridge pose.
Caution: This pose can be hard on the lower back. Always listen to your body and talk with your doctor before attempting to do any exercises.
Seated Angle Pose - Upavista Konasana
This is a strong asana that opens the muscles of the groin and lower back, giving the root chakra and opportunity to release its vitality into the body.
As you breathe in this posture, visualize color red flowing through your root chakra and into the body.
- Sit with your feet spread as wide as possible. Your toes and knees are facing the ceiling.
- Move forward slightly from the hips and place your hands on the floor in front of you.
- Hold for a few breaths and make sure your shoulders, your back muscles, and your neck are relaxed and lengthening.
- Let your jaw relax, part your teeth slightly, relax any tension in your face or forehead.
- Take a deep breath in and on the out breath, pivot forward dropping on to your forearms for support.
- You may find that you cannot go further than this, that is fine. Only do what feels right for your body. Always pay attention to the feelings in your body, yoga should not hurt.
- If you feel that you can go further, then take a breath in and on the out breath, release your body further down towards the floor. Let your chin rest on the floor and your hands reach towards the feet.
- Breathe and feel your breath filling your back and your muscles relaxing and releasing stored tension.
Caution: This can be an intense stretch. Always listen to your body and talk with your doctor before attempting to do any exercises.
More root chakra yoga poses
If you want to learn more yoga poses for balancing the root chakra or for an in-depth study of chakra yoga poses, I recommend the following book by Anodea Judith:
This is an excellent book for the experienced yogi as well as the beginner. Anodea Judith teaches hatha yoga poses for balancing and aligning the seven sacred centers - the seven chakras.
There are specific poses for each of the seven chakras to accomplish a series of tasks: enter, align, activate, soften, attune, illuminate, awaken.
The teachings and guidance in this book will help you to access your subtle body with the practice of yoga.
Meaning of Aura Colors
Learning to see Auras is easy, understanding and interpreting what you see is a bit more complex. Learning what different colors of Human Aura mean is a first step in this understanding.
Chakra Colors in Depth
Explore the deeper meaning of color and its connection with your seven chakras. Learn about the science of color, how we see colors and delve into color psychology. Awaken your sense of self and re-connect with your soul.
All healing is self-healing. Tapping into the universal energy, we can use Reiki to heal our physical, emotional, and spiritual bodies. A gentle and safe method for holistic self-care, anyone can use Reiki energy for self-healing.
Third Eye Chakra
The Brow Chakra or Third Eye is the 6th chakra also known as Ajna chakra. The gift of this chakra is clear seeing. It is seeing beyond the physical form, beyond the frequencies of material world, seeing the subtle energies and higher vibrations. The energy of Ajna chakra allows us to access our inner guidance.
Stay connected! Subscribe to Chakra Wisdom eZine and
download a free Chakra Affirmations poster.