Home>Root Chakra>Root Chakra Yoga Poses2
Root Chakra Yoga Poses 2
to Align and Balance Your 1st Chakra
The following root chakra yoga poses are aimed at stimulating and releasing energy from the Muladhara chakra.
Working with your chakras is all about balance. And releasing excess chakra energy is just as important as stimulating chakras to gain energy or rooting and grounding yourself.
Before you begin to practice yoga, check with your doctor. Some poses can be challenging for the body and it is best to practice with a qualified yoga teacher.
Bridge Pose, Setu Bhandasana
This is a dynamic root chakra yoga pose that allows your feet to be firmly rooted into the earth and your spine engaged in the release of excess root chakra energy.
This pose also stimulates the throat chakra, opens the heart and solar plexus chakras and balances the sacral chakra.
- Begin this pose by lying on your back with your arms straight at your side, palms facing down.
- Bend your knees and keep your feet parallel to each other about hip width apart.
- Bring your heels closer to your body so that you can feel the tips of your fingers.
- While maintaining full contact with the ground, press your feet into the mat. Engage your leg muscles, but do not lift yourself up. Feel the energy flowing through your legs. Breathe deeply.
- Press your feet even more and lift your buttocks and your body of the ground. Press the chest upward.
- You can support yourself in this position with your hands by placing them on your lower back.
- Breathe slowly and evenly. Be aware of your body and of your chakras. You are now balancing your chakras in a bridge pose.
Caution: This pose can be hard on the lower back. Always listen to your body and talk with your doctor before attempting to do any exercises.
Seated Angle Pose, Upavista Konasana
This is a strong asana that opens the muscles of the groin and lower back, giving the root chakra and opportunity to release its vitality into the body.
As you breathe in this posture, visualize color red flowing through your root chakra and into the body.
- Sit with your feet spread as wide as possible. Your toes and knees are facing the ceiling.
- Move forward slightly from the hips and place your hands on the floor in front of you.
- Hold for a few breaths and make sure your shoulders, your back muscles, and your neck are relaxed and lengthening.
- Let your jaw relax, part your teeth slightly, relax any tension in your face or forehead.
- Take a deep breath in and on the out breath, pivot forward dropping on to your forearms for support.
- You may find that you cannot go further than this, that is fine. Only do what feels right for your body. Always pay attention to the feelings in your body, yoga should not hurt.
- If you feel that you can go further, then take a breath in and on the out breath, release your body further down towards the floor. Let your chin rest on the floor and your hands reach towards the feet.
- Breathe and feel your breath filling your back and your muscles relaxing and releasing stored tension.
Caution: This can be an intense stretch. Always listen to your body and talk with your doctor before attempting to do any exercises.
Stay connected! Subscribe to Chakra Wisdom eZine and
download a free Chakra Affirmations poster.