Learn how to become more grounded and rooted with yoga poses for the root chakra.
The best root chakra yoga poses are those that encourage your connection with earth, those that keep you rooted and grounded.
Yoga is both a physical and spiritual practice. Always recognize that you are a spiritual being and the yoga poses are not only exercises for your body, but also for your mind, emotions, and your spirit.
Yoga allows us to get in touch with our subtle body. The more present we become in the moment, the more attuned we are to the subtle energies and our subtle body.
Mountain Pose - Tadasana
The most basic of all poses in yoga is the Mountain Pose. Every yoga practice begins with this simple pose. The pose encourages your connection with earth, connects you with your own body, and grounds you in the present moment.
I love this pose. It is very relaxing and affirming. When I feel scattered during the day, I go into this pose, even if it is just for a minute or two. Afterwards, I feel much calmer and collected. Here is how to do it:
- Stand barefoot on your mat. Shoulders, neck, and upper body relaxed, yet straight. Your arms are at your side.
- Become aware of your breath. Inhale slowly into your belly and exhale. Continue taking deep slow breaths.
- Feel the ground underneath your feet. Spread your toes and lift them off the ground. Then relax and let them fall back on the mat.
- Imagine roots spreading from your feet deep down into the earth. Feel the connection and the stability that these roots offer you.
- Continue breathing slowly and evenly. You are now standing strong as a mountain.
Warrior Pose - Virabhadrasana 1
This is a strong asana that makes a firm connection with earth and your body. This root chakra yoga pose allows your prana to move through your body and rooting you through the first chakra.
As you breathe in this posture, visualize color red flowing through your body and coming to your base chakra.
This yoga asana physically strengthens your legs, can help with knee strength, lower back strength, and opens your hips.
- Stand in Tadasana (Mountain Pose). Take a deep breath and on an exhale step your left foot back about 3.5 feet.
- Turn your left foot to about 45 degree angle. Make sure your left foot is firmly planted and touching the ground.
- On an exhale, bend your right knee over the right ankle, so that your shin is perpendicular to the floor. If you can, bring your right thigh parallel with the floor.
- Raise your arms above your head and touch the palms together (as in prayer position).
- Breathe deeply and hold the position for one minute.
- Bend your knees and step your feet back together. Repeat on the other side.
Caution: This pose can be hard on the lower back. Always listen to your body and talk with your doctor before attempting to do any exercises.
Corpse Pose - Savasana
This is an excellent root chakra yoga pose because your whole body is in contact with the ground. Whenever you can, practice this pose outside, lying on the grass where your body can absorb the bioenergy of the Earth.
The Corpse pose is also one of the greatest yoga poses for balancing of the crown chakra.
- Lie on your back on the floor. If you find that you need some neck support, you can fold a towel and place it under your neck.
- Stretch your legs, spread them comfortably appart (whatever feels good for you) and relax your lower body.
- Draw your shoulderblades underneath you, tilt your chin slightly towards your chest (to lenghten your neck) and relax.
- Your arms should be by your side, palms facing up or down, whatever is most comfortable for you.
- There should be no effort to maintain this position.
- Breathe deeply and feel the connection of your body with the ground. Visualize deep red energy in your first chakra as it is pulsing - expanding and contracting, spinning and moving. Feel the flow of energy and feel the stability this provides you.
As much as this pose looks simple, it is a challenging pose. It is called the Corpse pose, because it is supposed to immitate the stillness of a corpse. When practicing, aim for good 10 minutes in the pose (or more, without falling asleep) and you will see what I mean when I say it is a challenging pose.
These three poses are a really good start to align and balance the root chakra. They work on your inner strenght and connection with the earth, the ground and establishing a sense of rootedness in the present moment.
More root chakra yoga poses
If you want to learn more yoga poses to balance the root chakra or for an in-depth study of chakra yoga poses, I recommend the following book by Anodea Judith:
This is an excellent book for the experienced yogi as well as the beginner. Anodea Judith teaches hatha yoga poses for balancing and aligning the seven sacred centers - the seven chakras.
There are specific poses for each of the seven chakras to accomplish a series of tasks: enter, align, activate, soften, attune, illuminate, awaken.
The teachings and guidance in this book will help you to access your subtle body with the practice of yoga.
Meaning of Aura Colors
Learning to see Auras is easy, understanding and interpreting what you see is a bit more complex. Learning what different colors of Human Aura mean is a first step in this understanding.
Chakra Colors in Depth
Explore the deeper meaning of color and its connection with your seven chakras. Learn about the science of color, how we see colors and delve into color psychology. Awaken your sense of self and re-connect with your soul.
All healing is self-healing. Tapping into the universal energy, we can use Reiki to heal our physical, emotional, and spiritual bodies. A gentle and safe method for holistic self-care, anyone can use Reiki energy for self-healing.
Third Eye Chakra
The Brow Chakra or Third Eye is the 6th chakra also known as Ajna chakra. The gift of this chakra is clear seeing. It is seeing beyond the physical form, beyond the frequencies of material world, seeing the subtle energies and higher vibrations. The energy of Ajna chakra allows us to access our inner guidance.
Stay connected! Subscribe to Chakra Wisdom eZine and
download a free Chakra Affirmations poster.