Home>Sacral Chakra>Sacral Chakra Sun Salutation
Sacral Chakra Sun Salutation
to Align and Balance Your 2nd Chakra
The best sacral chakra yoga poses are those that help encourage graceful, flowing movements. Movements that keep us fluid and flexible in body, mind, and spirit.
Sacral Chakra Sun Salutation, or Surya Namaskar is a fluid sequence of poses for moving the body and for balancing the chakras. With this sequence you are stretching and increasing flexibility, improving concentration and balance.
When you learn the sequence, work on fluid and graceful movements as you move from one pose to another. With sacral chakra sun salutations you can experience the interconnectedness of your body, mind, and breath.
As always, before you begin to practice yoga, check with your doctor. Some poses can be challenging for the body and it is best to practice with a qualified yoga teacher.
There are a variety of sequences for Sun Salutation series. This one is my favorite:
- Stand in Mountain Pose, Tadasana, your feet about hip width appart. Take a deep breath in and feel your connection with the Universal force or with spirit. Breathe out and feel your connection with the Earth.
- On your next inhale, bring your arms overhead, bending your back slightly and looking up between your hands. Open up your heart centre.
- As you exhale, bend forward at the hips, bring your hands down towards the floor. If you are tigh in your harmstrings, you can slightly bend your knees. Inhale and lift your hands and your body about midway to your calves as you look up. Exhale and return all the way to the Forward Bend.
- Inhale and step your right foot back into a lunge. As you bend into the front leg, make sure that your knee is above the ankle and not further to the front.
- Exhale and push yourself into the Downard Facing Dog position. Inhale at the top and then slowly lower yourself down to the floor through a push up position all the way down. Alternatively, you can place your knees on the mat and lower yourself down from that position.
- Put your hands on the mat in line with your shoulders and curl your toes. Your shoulders are pressed back, inhale and lift your upper body into Cobra - your chest and throat are open.
- On an exhale, bring your head and chest back down to the mat. Take a deep breath and
- Lift yourself up to a tall Plank position (as if ready for push-ups). Keep your body flat and straight.
- Inhale and step your right foot forward into a lunge, while setting your left foot on the floor.
- Exhale and lift your left foot of the ground and step forward. Return your body to forward bend with your hands on thefloor.
- Keeping firm contact with the ground, inhale as your lift your body and sweep your arms over your head into a gentle back bend.
- Exhale and put your hands into prayer position and in line with your heart.
You can repeat this sequence as often as you like. Many people prefer to do Sun Salutation in the morning as a wonderful start to their day for chakra balancing. It does not matter when you practice it, as long as you practice.
Sacral chakra Sun Salutation benefits the whole body and all of your chakras. The fluidity of this sequence is particularly beneficial for your second chakra.
Stay connected! Subscribe to Chakra Wisdom eZine and
download a free Chakra Affirmations poster.